The spammer will utilize various tactics in order to make it look like your website received referral traffic from reddit.com even though it really did not. This type of web traffic is a specific type of web traffic known as “ghost traffic.” The spammer essentially sends phantom visitors to your website’s Google Analytics account in order to make it appear as if someone visited your website from the referral URL.
Referrer spammers usually target your website’s data for several reasons:
– Referrer spammers want to promote a website and want you to visit the webpage or search for it online through Google search engine results pages.
– Referrer spammers want to boost their rank on Google search engine results pages by creating backlinks. They do this by logging requests into your website’s access log, which is then crawled by Google’s indexing bots and seen as a backlink to the spam site.
Create an Exclude Filter
Use this filter only if you do not wish to receive referral traffic from Reddit.com. Reddit.com is a popular website and blocking referral traffic from the website might be the optimal choice.
1. Open your Google Analytics account and go to the Admin tab> Cick Filters on the right side in the VIEW section.
2. Click the + ADD FILTER button to create a new exclude filter.
3. Add Reddit.com or something you can easily remember as the Filter Name.
4. Select the Custom Filter Type.
5. In Filter Field, find and select Campaign Source in the list. In the Filter Pattern text box, add Reddit.com and click the blue Save button on the bottom of the webpage.